SEOUL, Dec. 4 (UPI) — As the Seoul metropolitan area saw a record number of COVID-19 cases on Friday, Acting Mayor Seo Jeong-hyup declared a “desperate crisis” and announced measures that include forcing most businesses to close early each night.
The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency reported about 300 cases in the capital city on Friday amid a nationwide outbreak that reached a nine-month high.
Metro Seoul has been under Level 2 physical distancing guidelines, the third-highest level on South Korea’s 5-tier system, since Nov. 24. Seo said, however, current measures aren’t doing enough to stem the spread.
“The number of confirmed cases is snowballing,” the mayor said at an online press briefing. “It is impossible to respond to the crisis with the measures taken so far.”
Under the new restrictions, which take effect Saturday and will last for at least two weeks, restaurants, cafes and most stores must